Friday, July 20, 2012

Enchantments by Kathryn Harrison

Set in turn of the century Russia, this piece of historical fiction is written through the eyes of Rasputin's daughter Matryona (Maria).  The novel chronicles the last days of Tsar Nicholas and his wife Alexandra as well as the relationships of the family members with Rasputin and his daughter.  Very well written with great character development, this book captures the essence of why I love historical fiction so much--Harrison did a wonderful job of telling the story of the Romanovs--so much so that I plan to put some non-fiction about the tsar and tsarina on my reading to do list!  My only complaints are that she did not put the story into the political context I wish she would have, and she included so many flashbacks that sometimes it was difficult to understand the plot without rereading a bit.  Otherwise, a good solid read.

No comments:

Post a Comment